Recipe Provided ByAmerican Lamb Board
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 American Lamb leg bone
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced thin
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1/2 gallon broth or stock
- 1 pound American Lamb leg meat, roasted, shredded
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced 1/4-inch
- 1 cup celery, diced medium
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced medium
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Sea or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup basil, mint, parsley, oregano, finely chopped
In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat olive oil; add lamb bone, garlic and barley; cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add stock or broth to cover; simmer for 45 minutes. Add the lamb meat, shallots, carrots, celery, tomatoes and mushrooms; simmer for 15 minutes until barley and vegetables are tender. Adjust salt and pepper as desired. Remove the bone.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped herbs.