Recipe Provided ByAmerican Lamb Board
- 4-1/2 pounds American Lamb sirloins, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted, crushed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, cracked
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 24 fresh rosemary skewers/stems or 6-inch bamboo skewers soaked in water
- 2 cups Greek yogurt, plain
- 1-1/2 cups cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 12 pitas, 6-inch, grilled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
In a bowl, combine oil, syrup, rosemary, coriander, fennel, mustard, pepper and salt. Place lamb sirloin in a half-size hotel pan; pat marinade onto lamb. Toss well to coat evenly. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, turning meat often, until ready to cook.
Thread 3 or 4 marinated lamb chunks (3 ounces) onto each rosemary herb or bamboo skewer, securing well. Place on sheet pan; cover until ready to prepare.
In a bowl, mix yogurt, cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, mint and syrup. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
To serve: For each serving, grill 2 skewers of lamb, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, to desired doneness; place on grilled pita bread. Spoon 1/3 cup yogurt sauce over top; serve with a sprinkling of parsley.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest