Recipe Provided By"Nourish With Lamb"
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ground
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 lbs ground American lamb
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 (28oz) can tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pappardelle pasta or wide fettuccine
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly shaved or grated for garnish, optional
*For an alternative, you can use zucchini noodles: about 3-4 zucchini spiralized, and sautéed in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 2-4 minutes, or until the zucchini softens.
Heat the olive oil in large Dutch oven or large saute pan, and sauté onion, celery, carrots and garlic until softened.
Stir in oregano, nutmeg and the tomato paste.
Add ground lamb and cook until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat into crumbles. Season with salt and pepper.
Add red wine, stock, tomato puree and bay leaf. Bring to a low simmer.
Allow the liquid to reduce by half about 30 minutes.
Cover and cook on a low simmer until the sauce is thick about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Cook pasta or zucchini noodles according to directions. Drain well. Toss together pasta or zucchini noodles* and sauce.
Spoon into serving dishes, and sprinkle with desired amount of cheese about 1 tablespoon per serving. Serve immediately.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest