Recipe Provided By“Two Purple Figs”
- 2 pounds ground American Lamb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (oregano, parsley and thyme)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
For the Pita Bowls:
- 3 Pita breads, halved
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) chickpeas, drained and seasoned with salt, garlic powder and olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cucumbers, cubed
- 1 cup olives (green and Kalamata olives)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, cubed
- Fresh mint and dill leaves
- Tzatziki or other yogurt garlic sauce
In a heavy-duty skillet, sauté onions in olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add lamb and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the lamb is cooked through. Sprinkle with herbs and chili flakes; set aside.
For the pita bowls, line serving bowl with opened pita bread half. Top with greens and chickpeas. Drizzle with tahini. Add lamb to one half of bowl. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives and feta cheese to other half of bowl. Add dollop of tzatziki. Drizzle with additional tahini and if desired, sprinkle with chili flakes and herbs. Garnish with mint and dill.
Note: The USDA recommends that ground lamb be cooked until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.