Recipe Provided ByChef Cindy Pawlcyn
- 1-1/2 ounces paprika
- 1-1/2 ounces brown sugar
- 1 ounce kosher salt
- 1/2 ounce cayenne
- 1/2 ounce chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 ounce garlic powder
- 1/2 ounce onion powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 garlic head, roasted, husks removed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, raw, peeled
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cups onions, diced
- 4 cups ketchup
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups crispy bacon, chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mustard powder
- 1/3 cup garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon white pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces American Lamb, ground
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 2 teaspoons BBQ Spice (see above)
- 8 red onion slices, grilled
- Olive oil, as needed
- 4 ounces BBQ Sauce (see above)
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 semolina burger buns, split, buttered, toasted
- 4 tablespoons Basil Aioli (see above)
- 4 ounces arugula
- 16 ounces potato chips
For the BBQ Spice: In a bowl, mix together paprika, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Store in a tightly sealed container.
For the Basil Aioli: In a blender add egg yolks, roasted and raw garlics, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste; blend until smooth. Slowly add oil until emulsified. Remove from blender; in a bowl whisk in basil pesto and lemon juice.
For the BBQ Sauce: In a large pot, combine onions, ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice, brown sugar, bacon, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard powder, garlic powder, white pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil; simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes. Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Continue to reduce for another 30 minutes; strain through a china cup colander or strainer.
For the Lamb Burger: Shape lamb into four, 7-ounce patties; season each with salt and pepper to taste and 1/2 teaspoon BBQ Spice.
Season onions with oil, salt and pepper. Grill onion slices over medium-high heat; set aside.
Brush patties with oil; place on a hot grill. Flip and baste each with one ounce BBQ Sauce; continue to grill until caramelized. Add 2 ounces cheese to each; finish grilling to desired doneness. Place two grilled onion on top of the melted cheese.
Toast buns. Spread 1/2 tablespoon Basil Aioli on the top and bottom of each bun; place a finished lamb burger on the bottom bun; place 1 ounce arugula on the top bun. Serve open faced with 4 ounces of potato chips.