Recipe Provided ByChef Mica Talmor
4 to 6
- 1/2 cup oil blend
- 1/3 cup ras-al-hanout
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons anise seed, ground
- 3 pounds American Lamb leg, bone-in, sliced to 2 inches with bone
- 1 pound yellow onion, grated
- 2 ounces garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 cup red wine or port, sweet
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
- 2 quarts lamb broth
- 1 pound red grapes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, large dice
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan spice blend
- 2 tablespoons oil blend
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces Marcona almonds, blanched
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Parsley, chopped, as needed
For the Marinade: In a bowl, combine oil, ras-al-hanout, vinegar, salt, ginger and anise; pour over lamb. Refrigerate overnight.
For the Braise: In a Dutch oven, sear lamb; remove meat, set aside. In the same pan, sauté onion with lamb drippings; add garlic. When golden, add the red wine and saffron (if desired); cook out alcohol and add broth. Return meat to the pan; spoon liquid over lamb. Cover; braise 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven. Turn oven to broil setting. Skim fat from top of lamb; return pot to oven to let sauce thicken and lamb brown.
For the Grapes: In a 2-inch hotel pan, mix grapes, honey, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 350°F; stir gently every 10 minutes until grapes are roasted and liquid in the pan is thick, about 30 minutes.
For the Squash: In an ovenproof pan, mix squash with spice blend, oil, water and salt. Roast for 15 minutes, or until tender but still holds its shape.
For the Almonds: In a shallow pan, fry almonds with oil until golden brown. Remove from oil; add salt.
To assemble: On a serving plate or platter, mix braised lamb and roasted grapes. Add squash, garnish with almonds and parsley.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest