Recipe Provided ByChef Shawn Loving, CMC
- 4 American Lamb shanks, braised, boneless, pulled
- 2 tablespoons Za’atar spice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard
- 4 French hoagie buns, 6-inch
- 1 Vidalia onion (or seasonal onion), thin sliced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and onion powder
Garlic Mustard Aioli (makes about 2 cups):
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups grapeseed oil
- Lemon juice, as needed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
Tzatziki Sauce (makes about 1 cup):
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon, zested
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pickled red cabbage and green bell peppers, shredded fine
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices Za’atar spice-marinated Roma tomatoes in olive oil
Season pulled lamb with Za’atar spice, salt and pepper. In pan, heat oil and sear pulled lamb until crispy; glaze with mustard.
For the Crispy Onions: In a bowl, soak onion in buttermilk; dredge in seasoned flour. Pan fry in oil until crispy.
For the Garlic Mustard Aioli: In blender or food processor, combine egg yolks, vinegar, mustard, garlic, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle in grapeseed oil until thickened; add lemon juice to adjust consistency and taste.
For the Pickled Cucumbers: In a pan, bring water, vinegar, sugar and salt to boil; pour over sliced cucumbers. Let cool.
For the Tzatziki Sauce: In a bowl, combine cucumber, garlic, lemon zest, yogurt and dill; season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve: Slice hoagie buns part way; griddle with butter until golden brown. Spread 2 tablespoons Garlic Mustard Aioli on both sides. Toss cabbage and bell peppers in some pickling liquid; place on bottom with lettuce, two slices tomato, lamb, Pickled Cucumbers and Crispy Onions. Serve with side of Tzatziki Sauce.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest