Recipe Provided By"Feasting at Home"
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 pound ground American Lamb
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups cooked brown basmati rice or other cooked grain (bulgur, freekeh, quinoa)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (dill, mint, parsley or a combination) or 1 teaspoon each dried dill and mint
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 12 zucchini squash blossoms, soaked in cold water, patted dry, checked for bees/bugs
- Spray olive oil
Quick Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup Persian or Turkish cucumbers, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint or dill
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- 1/8 tablespoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
In a skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add American Lamb, breaking it apart with a spatula. Season with allspice, salt, and cinnamon; cook and mix until cooked through. Add rice, fresh herbs, and optional pine nuts; let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet; spray with olive oil or cooking spray. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons lamb filling into blossoms; place on parchment. Pinch blossoms ends together as best as you can (it is ok if they don’t close completely). Spray blossoms with a light dusting of olive oil. Bake at 400 degreea F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
For the Quick Tzatziki Sauce: In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, cucumbers, mint or dill, oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic.
To serve: Serve with Quick Tzatziki Sauce, greens, sweet summer tomatoes, and fresh herbs, or as an appetizer on a platter (they are also good at room temperature).
- If using dry herbs, add at the time of the spices.
- You can also stuff this flavorful lamb filling into zucchini. Simply cut 4 medium zucchinis in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and spoon the filling into the zucchini. Bake about 40 minutes at 375 degrees F, until zucchini is tender.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest