Recipe Provided ByEva Kosmas Flores"
- 2 pounds American Lamb leg meat, (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 (8-inch) skewers, (soaked in water)
- 3 golden bell peppers, (cut into 2x1 inch pieces)
- 2 lemons, (quartered)
For the Zesty Yogurt Spread and Garnish
- 14oz plain Greek yogurt
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces Feta, (crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
To make the Lamb Souvlaki, trim the excess fat off of the meat and cut the meat into roughly 2-inch cubes. Place the lamb in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, oregano, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and mix until the meat is completely coated in the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight (for best results).
Place about 8 to 9 pieces of meat and 3 to 4 pieces of bell pepper per skewer, leaving about an inch empty at each end for gripping. Grill the souvlaki over medium heat until just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.* Squeeze a lemon quarter over each souvlaki to drizzle with juice.
For the yogurt spread, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, and salt until smooth. Add a dollop of the yogurt sauce to the serving plate, and top with souvlaki, then the feta, chili oil, capers, and mint leaves.
You can do it all on one big serving dish, or distribute the yogurt and toppings between individual plates of Souvlaki.