Recipe Provided By"Salt Pepper Skillet"
3 hrs 30 Min
3 HRS 45min
- 4 to 6 pound bone-in American Lamb leg, fat trimmed, tied with twine
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Garlic Herb Marinade
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Italian Salsa Verde
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 chopped anchovy filets
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the Garlic and Herb Marinade: in a food processor or blender, combine lemon zest, oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and red pepper flakes; pulse until well chopped, but not completely pureed.
For the Lamb Leg: Pat the lamb dry with paper towels; sprinkle salt and pepper over the entire lamb leg. Rub Garlic and Herb Marinade all over the lamb. Place lamb leg in a vacuum seal bag or zip-close freezer bag; seal and refrigerate overnight.
Bring lamb to room temperature before cooking. Set sous vide temperature to 133 degrees F; cook for 3 to 5 hours.
Remove lamb from the bag; transfer to a sheet pan. Pat dry with paper towels; rub a little olive oil all over to help promote browning. Place lamb under the broiler until the top is well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Rest lamb leg on a cutting board; slice and serve with Italian Salsa Verde sauce. Sprinkle with finishing salt, such as Maldon Sea Salt.
For the Italian Salsa Verde: In a blender or food processor, add garlic, anchovies, lemon zest, parsley, oil, lemon juice, capers, salt and red pepper flakes; pulse until smooth. Adjust seasoning or add lemon juice as needed. Use immediately or place in a container covered with plastic wrap directly on top of the sauce to maintain color before refrigerating.
- If a broiler isn’t available for browning the lamb, use a very hot heavy-bottom skillet with a little oil to sear the lamb.
- The Italian Salsa Verde can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest