Recipe Provided By"Feasting at Home"
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 30 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds American Lamb stew meat (shoulder), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (if you do not have cumin seeds, add another teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1-1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried apricots, chopped or dried currants
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function. Heat the oil or butter; sauté onion for 3 to 4 minutes until fragrant. Add American Lamb, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin seeds and chili flakes; sauté for 5 more minutes until fragrant. Add chickpeas, broth, vinegar, raisins, tomato paste and honey; stir until combined.
Cover; set the Instant Pot (or pressure cooker) to the “meat stew” setting, or pressure cook for 1 hour on normal/high. Let the pressure release and give a stir. The lamb will be tender and break apart easily.
Serve with cooked quinoa, couscous or basmati rice, and garnish with fresh Italian parsley or cilantro leaves and extra chili flakes.
- The leftovers taste even better the next day as the flavors have more time to meld.
- Alternatively, this can be prepared on the stovetop in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Brown the onions in the oil or butter; add lamb, garlic, salt and spices, cooking for 5 to 6 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except the raisins; bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven; bake at 325°F for 2 hours, adding the raisins about 1 to 1-1/2 hours into the baking time.
- After 2 hours the lamb will be tender. If a little more browning is desired, give a quick broil to the pot uncovered.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest