Recipe Provided By"Billy Parisi"
For the Pickled Onions:
- 1/4 peeled and thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
For the Tzatziki:
- 1/2 cucumber, (peeled, seeded, and shredded)
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, (finely minced)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill, (finely minced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Burger:
- 2 pounds ground American lamb
- 2 finely grated garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 red onion, (peeled and finely grated)
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 toasted Kaiser buns
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
Pickled Onions: Mix the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and submerge the sliced red onions in the mixture. Pickle for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Tzatziki: Place the cucumber shreds in a colander in a bowl and season with about a 1/2 teaspoons of salt and mix it until combined. Let the moisture from the cumbers drain into the bowl for about 10 minutes.
Squeeze the cucumber shreds to get off as much extra moisture as possible and then add it to a separate medium-size bowl along with the remaining recipe ingredients.
Whisk until it is well combined, cover, and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
In a large bowl thoroughly mix the lamb with cumin, coriander, oregano, sumac, salt, pepper, grated onion, and garlic.
Form 4 large patties and place them on a hot (550 to 650 degrees F) preheated grill and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
Flip the burgers and cook for a further 5 to 6 minutes or until it reaches 160° F internally. *
*The USDA recommends ground lamb reach an internal temperature of 160F.
Remove the lamb burgers and rest for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
To Assemble: Add some arugula to the bottom toasted Kaiser bun and then layer on with pickle slices, lamb burger, tzatziki, pickled onions, feta cheese, mint, and the top toasted kaiser bun. Repeat with the other 3 lamb burgers and serve.