Recipe Provided By"Feasting at Home"
45 to 55 min
20 to 25 min
65 to 80 min
4 to 6
- 2 racks American Lamb, frenched (1-3/4 to 2 pounds each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garam masala (or Indian curry powder)
Indian Coconut Fenugreek Sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 3 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes), with juices
- 1 can (13 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- Garnish: Fresh cilantro, toasted fennel seeds, Aleppo chili flakes
- Basmati rice (optional)
Trim any excess fat from racks; pat American Lamb dry. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle all sides with salt, pepper and garam masala. Place on a baking sheet; set aside.
For the Indian Coconut Fenugreek Sauce: In a medium pot or large sauté pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and shallot; stir until golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add turmeric, fennel seed and mustard seed; continue cooking 1 more minute, stirring. Add diced tomato and their juices. Continue cooking and stirring about 5 more minutes until tomatoes break down. Add coconut milk, fenugreek leaves, salt and sugar. Stir, taste, adjust salt. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, simmering while lamb bakes.
Roast lamb in a 425°F oven for 10 minutes; flip, cook another 10 minutes. Flip once more; broil for a few minutes if a crispy crust is desired. Be careful not to burn while broiling. Remove lamb from oven; rest 5 to 10 minutes.
Slice lamb racks; plate or platter lamb atop Fenugreek Sauce. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, toasted fennel seeds (optional) and chili flakes if desired. Can be served with basmati rice.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest