Recipe Provided ByFig & Olive Platter
- 3.7 pounds of American Lamb Leg, (with the bone, fat trimmed, and cut into pieces)
- 5 baby potatoes
- 2 carrots (peeled and cut)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 spring of rosemary
- 3/4 cup of yogurt
- 1 small lemon, (juice and zest)
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons of coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of all-spice powder
- Handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
Preheat Oven to 350°F
Rinse the American lamb leg pieces and pat dry.
To make the marinade, pulse the ingredients in the food processor and combine for a few seconds.
Then place the lamb pieces in a large roasting pan or bowl. Pour the marinade all over. Optional: You can allow the American lamb to be marinated overnight.
Toss carrots and baby potatoes in the roasting pan. If you have additional marinade, add 1 cup of water to it and add to the bottom of the roasting pan. Top with bay leaves, cover, and place in the oven to roast for about 3 1/2 hours. You will need to check on the lamb a couple of times and spoon over some of the liquid each time.
Once done, the American lamb meat should be tender and can easily be pulled apart from the bone.
Return lamb to the oven uncovered and cook for another 20 minutes at 400°F until it gets a beautiful crust on top.
Serve with the rice pilaf and enjoy!
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest