Recipe Provided By"The Forked Spoon"
10 hrs 20 min
Slow Cooker Harissa American Lamb
- 4 pounds American Lamb (leg, shank, sirloin)
- 6 tablespoons harissa paste, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Fresh chopped cilantro and green onion for serving, optional
- 1-1/2 cups pomegranate arils
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 oranges, peeled, chopped
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 large avocados, peeled, pitted
- 1 large lime, juiced, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortillas, flour or corn
- 1 large jicama, peeled, cut into matchsticks
For the Slow Cooker Harissa American Lamb: Rub entire surface of lamb with 2 tablespoons harissa paste.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add lamb; brown on all sides until golden brown, approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer lamb to slow cooker; brush with 2 tablespoons harissa paste.
Return skillet to medium-high heat; add sliced onion. Sauté onions in lamb grease until they just start to soften, approximately 3 minutes. Stir frequently.
Add sautéed onions and broth to the slow cooker; cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8 hours.
Once lamb has finished cooking, transfer to a clean plate to cool. Scoop out cooked onions into a large, clean bowl; set aside. Reserve half the cooking juices leftover in the slow cooker; mix with the final two tablespoons harissa paste.
Shred lamb using two forks (or your hands); transfer to the bowl with the cooked onions. Pour broth and harissa mixture over shredded lamb; gently stir to combine. Top with chopped cilantro and green onion, if desired; set aside.
For the Pomegranate Salsa: In a medium bowl add pomegranate arils, green onion, cilantro, oranges, red onion and lime juice; gently toss to combine.
For the Tacos: Just before serving, add peeled and pitted avocados to a bowl. Use a fork to smash the avocado until creamy, but not quite smooth. Stir in juice from one lime; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
To serve: Start with a tortilla; add a generous layer of avocado. Top with a scoop of shredded harissa lamb, Pomegranate Salsa, and jicama sticks.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest