Recipe Provided ByThe Curious Plate
- 2 pita rounds, cut into triangles (makes roughly 16)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 3/4 pound ground American Lamb
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh mint finely chopped, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish
Place pita triangles on baking sheets sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Using 1 tablespoon oil, spread on pitas; season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove from oven; set aside.
In a large bowl combine garlic, tomato paste, cumin, salt, cinnamon, paprika and pepper; add in lamb. Using your fingers mix the spices in with the lamb; do not overmix.
Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat; add butter and lamb mixture. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes; break up lamb with a wooden spoon. Once cooked, remove skillet from heat; set aside.
In a food processor, add tahini and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Process for about 30 seconds until combined. Add in 2 tablespoons oil, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt; process until well combined. Add half of the chickpeas; process for about 1 minute, scraping down the sides to ensure the chickpeas are well combined. If the hummus is getting too thick, add 1 tablespoon water. Add remaining chickpeas; process for another minute, adding more water until desired consistency. Add more salt if needed.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt and 2 teaspoons lemon juice; set aside.
To assemble, spread 1 teaspoon hummus on each pita triangle. Top with 1 tablespoon lamb mixture (or enough to cover), a dollop of yogurt, followed by mint and red pepper flakes.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest