Recipe Provided ByAmerican Lamb Board
- 3 pounds American Lamb sirloin, cut into 2-ounce strips
- 3 cups Greek Dressing/Marinade (recipe follows)
- 1-1/2 gallons romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups cucumber, diced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced, soaked in ice water
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
Greek Dressing/Marinade (makes 3 cups):
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seeds
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry leaf oregano
- 2 cups olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
Place lamb in a large stainless bowl or hotel pan. Pour 1-1/2 cups Greek Dressing/ Marinade over lamb; toss well to coat. Reserve remaining Greek Dressing/Marinade for salad. Let lamb strips marinate for 45 minutes or overnight.
Skewer lamb on bamboo skewers (1 strip per skewer/2 skewers per salad); grill 2 minutes per side or until medium rare. Keep warm.
In a bowl, combine romaine, pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives and feta cheese. Add approximately 1-1/2 cups Greek Dressing/Marinade; toss to coat. Place 3 cups salad in each bowl; top each salad with 2 warm lamb skewers and serve immediately, drizzling each salad serving with extra dressing if desired.
For Individual Salads: Toss 2 cups greens with 2 tablespoons Greek Dressing/Marinade, 1/4 cup peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon drained onions and olives, and 2 tablespoons feta cheese. Top with 2 skewers of lamb.
For the Greek Dressing/Marinade: In a deep bowl, combine garlic, fennel, vinegar, oregano, oil, salt, pepper and parsley. Process with an immersion blender; mix to blend well.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest