Recipe Provided ByThe American Lamb Board
6 to 8
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 2 cups packed parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped preserved lemon, or 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon juice, or 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed chile flakes
- 3 pounds American Lamb leg, trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 12 to 16 metal skewers, or wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch segments
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, variety of colors and sizes, cut into thick slices or quartered
For the Charmoula Sauce: In a food processor (or with a knife), finely mince garlic, stopping to scrap down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add cilantro, parsley, and preserved lemon or zest; pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped.
Transfer mixture to a bowl; stir in oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, paprika and chile flakes. Adjust seasoning as needed. The sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. There should be enough oil to cover the surface to preserve the herbs; if not, top with a bit more.
Coat American Lamb in about half of the Charmoula Sauce; marinate at least 1 hour or overnight. (Refrigerate if marinating for more than 2 hours.)
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill. Thread lamb onto skewers, dividing it evenly and alternating with a piece of green onion between each cube.
Grease grill grates with oil. Place the skewers on the hottest part of the grill. Cook, turning occasionally and moving to a cooler part of the grill as needed to avoid blackening or flare-ups, until browned all over and medium-rare to medium in the middle, 7 to 10 minutes.
Arrange tomatoes on a large platter. As skewers are cooked, remove them from the grill to the platter. Drizzle lamb and tomatoes with the remaining Charmoula Sauce; serve immediately.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest