Recipe Provided By"Feasting At Home"
4 to 5
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 red onion, medium-sized, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
- 1 pound ground American Lamb
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika (not smoked)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (this adds really great flavor, try not to leave it out)
- Generous pinch Aleppo chili flakes, optional, or regular
- Butter lettuce leaves (or baby romaine, little gems)
- 2 to 3 Turkish cucumbers, sliced or cut into thin spears
- Handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh mint and sprouts, for garnish
Heat grill to medium-high heat.
In a food processor, add garlic, onion, pine nuts, parsley and mint; pulse repeatedly until coarsely ground but not smooth.
In a medium bowl, place lamb, salt, paprika, cumin, allspice and chili flakes; add pine nut-herb mixture. With a wet hand mix well, kneading to combine.
With wet hands (run under faucet) form 16 1-ounce balls, either shaped into ovals or round balls; slightly flatten. Place on a plate or sheet pan.
When the grill is hot, clean and grease well. Place lamb koftas on the grill; turn heat to medium and cover for 3 to 4 minutes. Using a metal spatula, flip; as they develop grill marks they should release their hold on the grill. After you flip all, reduce heat to low; cover and continue cooking until cooked through, about 5 more minutes. Be sure to check one for doneness.
To assemble the Wraps: Either let guests assemble these themselves, or pre-assemble. With the butter lettuces laid out on a platter, top with cucumber, tomatoes and tzatziki; refrigerate while the kofta cook. Or just assemble as you cook. Top with tzatziki, torn mint leaves and sprouts.
NOTE: For a heartier version, serve wrapped in pita or over rice and create a “Bowl”.
For a Bowl: Serve Lamb Kofta over rice or other whole grain with cucumber, tomato, tzatziki, fresh mint and sprouts.
USDA recommends the following time and temperature parameters
Internal temperature of 160°F
All Other Cuts
Internal temperature of 145°F, with a 3 minute rest