Recipe Provided By"Running to the Kitchen"
- 2 tablespoons ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds American lamb stew meat, cut into small bite sized pieces (about 1/4”)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder, (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef or lamb broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans or mixture of kidney, black or pinto beans
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeños and/or sliced avocados for serving
Add 1 tablespoon ghee to a large pot/Dutch over medium-high heat.
Season lamb with salt and pepper then add to the pot and cook until browned. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon, drain excess liquid and return pot to the stove.
Add remaining tablespoon of ghee to the pot.
Place the onions and garlic in the pot and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the spice mixture, bay leaf, cacao powder and tomato paste. Stir until combined and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Transfer the browned lamb back into the pot and stir to combine.
Stir in the diced tomatoes and broth, bring the mixture to a simmer then lower the heat and cook with the lid on but slightly askew for 30 minutes.*
Remove the lid, add the beans and chocolate, stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes until the chocolate is melted and the beans are warmed through.
Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeños and/or avocado.